St Michaels Church
Church / Chapel
A chapel was founded on the current site of St Micahel's soon after the Borough of Macclesfield was established around 1220. This was extended or rebuilt, as All Hallows or All Saints, around 1278 by Queen Eleanor, the wife of King Edward I. It has been rebuilt several times, most recently in 1901. However a number of important additions remain from earlier times, especially the Legh and Savage chapels, and several memorials. The Legh chapel was built around 1442 to receive the body of Sir Piers Legh who fought at Agincourt and died later in the same campaign. The Savage Chapel, a much larger chantry chapel, was built between 1505 and 1507 by Thomas Savage, Archbishop of York. At this time also a Grammar School was founded, with buildings at the back of the church, whose first schoolmaster was the priest of the chapel. This Grammar School later became the King's School, Macclesfield (on another site) and still has close connections with the church.
In and near these chapels and in the Chancel there are a number of fine medieval monuments. Also there is a large monument to Thomas, third Earl Rivers (d. 1694). This is by the famous Stuart sculptor William Stanton and considered to be one of his best.
The Church was largely rebuilt built in 1898-1901 by Sir Arthur Blomfield but a number of important earlier features remain, notably the two towers, the Legh and Savage Chapels (15th/16th century) and an extensive group of Medieval monuments. St Michael's has an excellent collection of early twentieth-century stained glass, by Morris & Co., Christopher Whall and Kempe among others. The East and West Windows by Powells are noteworthy.
The church was reordered in 2003/4 to provide a stunning three storey Narthex (welcome area) and meeting rooms. St Michael's is open each morning and coffee and light refreshements are available. Most areas are accessible to disabled visiotrs and guide dogs are welcome.
Services are held every Sunday at 9:30am and 11:00am and on Thursdays at 10:30am
The championship-standard course offers a fine variety of golf that will suit players of all levels...0.09 miles away
Popular venue for many of the borough's key events including the Steam Fair and Traction Engine...0.09 miles away
Before you step out onto the championship-standard course here at Mottram Hall, have a few practice...0.09 miles away
The Heritage Centre Museum is housed within the Sunday School building. A magnificent 200 year...0.21 miles away
From Macclesfield Library, the chapel can be found down a narrow passage way on the left hand side...0.21 miles away
Journey along the Silk road with the help of the Macclesfield Silk Museum - start in China...0.22 miles away
Situated between Macclesfield and Prestbury, 70 acres of the River Bollin flood plain and valley...0.53 miles away
Not only an excellent course, but providing fabulous views. The Pennines and the Cheshire Plain...0.76 miles away
Founded in 1898 by the Brocklehurst family. A small, but significant collection of Egyptian...1.25 miles away
Teggs Nose used to be a quarry in days gone by, an old quarrying machine is still strewn around the...2.06 miles away
In a beautiful rural setting near Rainow, surrounded by a belt of trees on an otherwise bare...2.45 miles away
Built in 1817 by John Gaskell to commemorate the victory at the Battle of Waterloo, the White Nancy...2.5 miles away
Deep in the heart of the Happy Valley, one man has been blending a concoction to put Bollington...2.78 miles away
Located on the canal side at Clarence Mill, Bollington Discovery Centre brings together the history...2.91 miles away
One of Cheshire's most beautiful occupied historic houses. Gawsworth Hall is a Tudor, half-timbered...3 miles away
The home of Mary Fitton, the 'Dark Lady' of Shakespeare’s sonnets, Gawsworth Hall’s romantic...3.01 miles away